Education is a priority for many residents in the Triangle area. Our public school systems are among the top districts in the nation, and our universities are recognized around the world. Whether you’re relocating to the Triangle or just need to know about nearby schools, you can find everything you need to know in this Triangle schools guide. If you have any questions, call us at 919.612.9885 or fill out the form below.
Education in the Triangle
Public School Districts
In our area, local school systems operate dozens of elementary (K-5th grades), middle (6th-8th grades), and high schools (9th-12th grades). Several schools are on a year-round calendar, meaning they operate throughout the year with 3-week breaks after every 9-week term. Other schools operate on a traditional calendar. Here is a quick overview of the public school systems.
Wake County Public School System serves students in Wake County communities, which include Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Garner, Holly Springs, Knightdale, Morrisville, Raleigh, Rolesville, and Wake Forest. It has the highest number of National Board Certified teachers of any public school district in the United States.
There are nearly 60 private schools in the Triangle, ranging from college prep schools to religious academies. This is just a partial list of all the private schools available in the Triangle. You can learn more by visiting the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education‘s website.
- Cary Academy (6-12): College preparatory school in Cary
- Durham Academy (PreK-12): College preparatory school in Durham
- Hillel Day School (PreK-8): Jewish school in Raleigh
- Montessori School of Raleigh (18mo.-grade 12): Montessori school in Raleigh and Durham
- North Raleigh Christian Academy (PreK-12): Interdenominational school in North Raleigh
- Ravenscroft School (PreK-12): College preparatory school in Raleigh
- St. Mary’s School (9-12): All-girls college preparatory school in Raleigh
- St. Timothy’s School (PreK-8): Episcopal preparatory school in Raleigh
- The Fletcher Academy (3-12): School for students with learning disabilities
Public Colleges & Universities
The Triangle area is known for its exceptional research universities, community colleges, and liberal arts colleges. These public universities include:
- North Carolina Central University: HBCU 4-year liberal arts college in Durham
- North Carolina State University: a 4-year research university in Raleigh
- University of North Carolina: a 4-year research university in Chapel Hill
- Durham Technical Community College: a 2-year college in Durham
- Wake Technical Community College: a 2-year college in Raleigh, close to Garner
Private Colleges & Universities
The Triangle also offers several private colleges to choose from. These private universities include:
- Duke University: a 4-year research university in Durham
- Meredith College: women’s 4-year liberal arts college in Raleigh
- Shaw University: HBCU 4-year liberal arts college in Raleigh
- The College at Southeastern: a 4-year Christian liberal arts college in Wake Forest
- William Peace University: 4-year liberal arts college in Raleigh
Contact Gillooly & Associates Realty
If you’re looking for your new home in a certain school district or close to one of the colleges listed, our real estate professionals can help you find your ideal home. Call us at 919.612.9885 to get started.